Saturday, February 19, 2005

Healing days with dogs...

I met someone else suffering the loss of a 15 year old dog. He was the companion of the man's ex who herself suffers from ovarian cancer. Such a loss for her. We are not alone in our losses, ever. My other friend wrote me today that he just lost his sister-in-law. My sister-in-law died too of a brain tumor at 32 leaving behind a wonderful shephard mix. That dog lived with my mom until her death and she made the world of difference for my mom to get thru such a hard loss. Same for my brother too.

Why do we say "lost"? Where are they? They have not left the neighborhood, or town, or state. They didn't run away. Why do we say "lost"? Will they be "found" later? Rainbow Bridge says so.

I think there should be more education about death and truly about life's journey and passage to the "other side". There is comfort to me in knowing that life is eternal. It is a never ending journey. But it ends on this planet called earth and that's where the pain is. In "losing" the physicality of that which we love and hold so dear.

I am not alone in my pain. Others suffer too from "losing" their loved ones.

Maybe we should be more like those in New Orleans and get out the horse drawn carriage and jazz band and revel in the beautiful memories of ones we love. That TRULY is what they would want. I know that is what I want.

I have always said I wanted to be cremated and put in the pipe of a parking meter. My "tombstone saying" would simply be "Missy - EXPIRED - (Of course the meter would show the word Expired)..."She was a good kid ... but her time just ran out."

It would be on either Hollywood Boulevard or out in a cemetary where it would really get some notice.

Who knows. I am moving at such high speeds I usually think I am going to just spontaneously combust - sort of like the Tazmanian Devil.

Anyway, someone I know just got a dog with his girlfriend. He spent the last several years in prison and the look of love on his face was amazing. To come from that hell and into the days of joy that a dog brings. He was hold his buddy upside down in his arms cuddling his boy like a baby kissing him endlessly. And you call him a "criminal"? No, just someone that didn't get to love enough.

That was a healing day with a dog.

No comments: